Wednesday, October 17 2016
From the time I entered my room, until I was under the covers snoring, I’m guessing it was 30 minutes - tops. Even when I was sleeping, it seemed as if I was still moving. The sounds and sights of over 23 hours of being on that motorcycle...I can see why some might just give up right here - but, no, not me. I’ve made it waaaaay too far to give up now.
In early September, six weeks or so before I did the ride, I mentioned that I really wanted to do this ride. At first, my wife was thinking “Taking me along? Oh, no way!” At that point, she knew that, no, it was to be a solo ride. She did well on her SS1000 with me 2-up, but I wouldn’t abuse her *that* badly!
Now, it was also in this same period of time that a thread on a motorcycle forum that told the tragic story of the murder of motorcyclist Larry Weaver.
Now, every one of us that rides alone has that fear in one form or another. Reading the story as it was happening was just another concern for my wife. “I’ll check in, you’ll have the SPOT track…”. It made life easier both both my wife and my parents.
I roll over & look at the clock on my phone. I can’t tell what time zone I’m in, but if I’m doing the math right, I’ve slept soundly for six hours. Finally, a good night of Z’s!
“Wait - what about 50 hours? Where am I there?” Twenty two, plus six is 28. With a bit over 800 miles to go, I have 22 hours to do it.
“Don’t screw this up!!”
So, the plans are to jump back into the saddle and ride in much the same what I have been. In some research, I wanted to be certain that if I was to add a passenger to the pillion, and that passenger has zero control, that my ride is still legit. Everything I read on-line seemed to jibe, so it’s on!
I’m not getting gas at the same spot. I see see a location at the next exit, so once repacked, and with the GoPro remounted to the bike, I’m easing my way along Broadway street.
I will get breakfast as part of my second fuel stop, in Las Cruces, NM.
Pilot #209, 501 Van Horn Dr, Van Horn, TX 3:59 4:00 0:01
My body is now very used to the speeds I’ve been running, even though I could probably wick it down a notch and not lose much. It’s still dark at this time of year, and there’s not a lot of traffic at all. I’m once again able to utilize my portable daylight to my advantage.
I’ve decided that I’m now going to try and unravel my brain and body. I don’t need to be in full-on rally mode. I’m now lamenting that I really could have stayed in the rack and slept a bit more, but I want to finish this journey. I want to become a member of a fairly exclusive list of roughly 1500 riders that has certified any type of a coast-to-coast motorcycle ride in under 50 hours.
Today will be a series of small hurdles to conquer. The first is the El Paso metro area. As I’m approaching, after an hour of riding and having that dawn twilight in my mirrors, I spot a portable message sign stating that I-10 is closed.
There is an awful lot of construction in the region. It’s not like there were other places that highway could have been placed 50-odd years ago. They put it where they did; now we have to deal with that decision.
So, I guess this means we’re now going to take Loop 375 around the metro area. Much like the road in San Antonio, this is more like a parkway in locations, others, it really is closer to a freeway. The ride up and over the Franklin Mountains State Park, was interesting. Yes, still a few stop lights, but it seems that I’m here much closer to the beginning of rush hour. That extra hour that I might have lounged around in Van Horn is once again paying off.
I rejoin I-10, and have but a half an hour. I’ve been sending my wife a couple of text messages, trying to give her a better idea of my arrival time. With over three hours to go, I kindly let her know I’ll be better able to pinpoint time as I get past this next fuel stop.
Chevron, 2645. S Valley Dr., Las Cruces, NM 6:23 6:29 0:06
Whataburger, 190 E University, Las Cruces, NM 6:29 6:50 0:21
When I stopped at the end of the ramp for the traffic signal, I was clearly able to see both of these locations. I think I’ve exited rally mode; I’m just in ‘go home’ mode now.
One of my Saddle Sore rides I did a few years ago was done during a week long holiday break between Christmas and New Years. My wife had to work, I went for a ride. My first Saddle Sore ride was done a couple of years before that, and it took over 16 hours. I wanted to be able to do a 1000 mile ride in less than that. So a simple out-and-back along both directions of I-10 were plotted. From Tucson, I went to Yuma, then doubled back, past Tucson, to Las Cruces. From there, I simply rode home.
This part of the ride will be much the same as I did then.
After enjoying breakfast, it was time to move along. I was thru a good part of this segment of the ride in a bit of a fog - along with it just getting daylight. It’s so strange to think that was *only* six days ago.
Familiar stop, and it’s the stop before *the* stop of the trip.
Travel Ctr #226, 1501 Ft. Grant Rd, Willcox, AZ 9:25 9:35 0:10
As I’m approaching home, I’m in a short duration text conversation with my wife. She’s informed me of an accident along I-10 in Tucson. Avoid or continue? I’ve checked Google Maps, and I continue to do so as I get near the eastern end of the metro area. I’ve decided to take my chances and continue on - a wise choice! The semi had been moved to the side of the road, and traffic was again moving well.
Let’s say that the following stop is a homogenization of three stops I made. One for a bit of gas to mark time, one to pick up my wife and her gear, and the final gas stop is the one that resumes the journey.
I-10, MM 248 10:48 11:29 0:41
So, for the next hour, I get her caught up on my days straddled on this bike, she’s filling me in on the rest of life’s adventures that aren’t based on this bike and ride. It’ was great having her on the bike; this absolutely puts me into touring mode.
My wife wants to eat...I could use another meal as well…not that Taco Bell should be considered a meal, more like food.
Hey - I’ve been here before, too!
820 W Pima, Gila Bend, AZ 13:01 13:28 0:27
It’s mid-October, and it’s 94 degrees. I’m still lovin’ life in my riding gear, but I’m starting to ::snif, snif:: stink a bit.
Welcome to California! I’m crossing my last state border on this ride - a total of 13 crossings in eight states.
My wife hasn't done a lot of riding as of late, so she’s not quite got her thermal conditioning where it needs to be, and she’s needing to cool down a bit. She’s concerned about time. I told her there’s still several hours available...we’re doing fine!
Chevron, 1850 S. Imperial, El Centro, CA 15:57 16:29 0:32
In El Centro, I start trying to figure out how to end the ride. I did make a request for a witness to meet at the fuel stop. One stranger did volunteer to meet me, but I then called and thanked him for his offer when I was able to contact a friend who lives in the area to be my ending witness.
“I really need two, is your wife available?”
“Yes, tell me where.”
I give him the address. Like many that I had told about this ride, they've been watching my SPOT track. I’m communicating with him via text message. He lets me know when I’ve reached a certain point, he will rendezvous at the agreed upon location.
Rush hour - San Diego. Welcome to California! Oh, by the way, lane splitting here *is* legal. Last two miles of ride was bumper to bumper. I want my ending receipt and I want it RIGHT NOW!
I have it!
76, 2305 Sunset Cliffs Blvd, San Diego, CA 18:08
I claimed 2382 miles, the IBA considered it 2380. I’m okay with that. My 50 hour ride was accomplished in 43h:20m.
Some real food, a beer and I’m wiped.
I put a post to an on-line forum that was watching my exploits. My head is killing me, my throat is scratchy…
Wonderful. What a time for a head cold.
We did a bit of riding in the area the next day, but I wasn't feeling that great. The goal was to get that other bottle of sand...and I have it!
The two of us headed for home the following day. I was away seven days and rode nearly 5000 miles. I felt like crap for nearly two weeks.
Will I do something like this again? Yes - I'm considering either the Southern California Motorcycle Association (SCMA) USA Four Corners Tour or the 48-in-10 IBA Ride
Thanks for those reading to the very end...
From the time I entered my room, until I was under the covers snoring, I’m guessing it was 30 minutes - tops. Even when I was sleeping, it seemed as if I was still moving. The sounds and sights of over 23 hours of being on that motorcycle...I can see why some might just give up right here - but, no, not me. I’ve made it waaaaay too far to give up now.
In early September, six weeks or so before I did the ride, I mentioned that I really wanted to do this ride. At first, my wife was thinking “Taking me along? Oh, no way!” At that point, she knew that, no, it was to be a solo ride. She did well on her SS1000 with me 2-up, but I wouldn’t abuse her *that* badly!
Now, it was also in this same period of time that a thread on a motorcycle forum that told the tragic story of the murder of motorcyclist Larry Weaver.
Now, every one of us that rides alone has that fear in one form or another. Reading the story as it was happening was just another concern for my wife. “I’ll check in, you’ll have the SPOT track…”. It made life easier both both my wife and my parents.
I roll over & look at the clock on my phone. I can’t tell what time zone I’m in, but if I’m doing the math right, I’ve slept soundly for six hours. Finally, a good night of Z’s!
“Wait - what about 50 hours? Where am I there?” Twenty two, plus six is 28. With a bit over 800 miles to go, I have 22 hours to do it.
“Don’t screw this up!!”
![]() |
| A lovely evening of sleep at the Super 8, Van Horn, Texas |
So, the plans are to jump back into the saddle and ride in much the same what I have been. In some research, I wanted to be certain that if I was to add a passenger to the pillion, and that passenger has zero control, that my ride is still legit. Everything I read on-line seemed to jibe, so it’s on!
I’m not getting gas at the same spot. I see see a location at the next exit, so once repacked, and with the GoPro remounted to the bike, I’m easing my way along Broadway street.
I will get breakfast as part of my second fuel stop, in Las Cruces, NM.
![]() |
| Stop 12 - Van Horn, Texas |
Pilot #209, 501 Van Horn Dr, Van Horn, TX 3:59 4:00 0:01
My body is now very used to the speeds I’ve been running, even though I could probably wick it down a notch and not lose much. It’s still dark at this time of year, and there’s not a lot of traffic at all. I’m once again able to utilize my portable daylight to my advantage.
I’ve decided that I’m now going to try and unravel my brain and body. I don’t need to be in full-on rally mode. I’m now lamenting that I really could have stayed in the rack and slept a bit more, but I want to finish this journey. I want to become a member of a fairly exclusive list of roughly 1500 riders that has certified any type of a coast-to-coast motorcycle ride in under 50 hours.
Today will be a series of small hurdles to conquer. The first is the El Paso metro area. As I’m approaching, after an hour of riding and having that dawn twilight in my mirrors, I spot a portable message sign stating that I-10 is closed.
There is an awful lot of construction in the region. It’s not like there were other places that highway could have been placed 50-odd years ago. They put it where they did; now we have to deal with that decision.
So, I guess this means we’re now going to take Loop 375 around the metro area. Much like the road in San Antonio, this is more like a parkway in locations, others, it really is closer to a freeway. The ride up and over the Franklin Mountains State Park, was interesting. Yes, still a few stop lights, but it seems that I’m here much closer to the beginning of rush hour. That extra hour that I might have lounged around in Van Horn is once again paying off.
![]() |
| Loop 375, El Paso, Texas |
I rejoin I-10, and have but a half an hour. I’ve been sending my wife a couple of text messages, trying to give her a better idea of my arrival time. With over three hours to go, I kindly let her know I’ll be better able to pinpoint time as I get past this next fuel stop.
![]() |
| Stop 13 - First fuel in Las Cruces, New Mexico |
![]() |
| Stop 13 - Now food in Las Cruces, New Mexico |
Chevron, 2645. S Valley Dr., Las Cruces, NM 6:23 6:29 0:06
Whataburger, 190 E University, Las Cruces, NM 6:29 6:50 0:21
When I stopped at the end of the ramp for the traffic signal, I was clearly able to see both of these locations. I think I’ve exited rally mode; I’m just in ‘go home’ mode now.
One of my Saddle Sore rides I did a few years ago was done during a week long holiday break between Christmas and New Years. My wife had to work, I went for a ride. My first Saddle Sore ride was done a couple of years before that, and it took over 16 hours. I wanted to be able to do a 1000 mile ride in less than that. So a simple out-and-back along both directions of I-10 were plotted. From Tucson, I went to Yuma, then doubled back, past Tucson, to Las Cruces. From there, I simply rode home.
This part of the ride will be much the same as I did then.
After enjoying breakfast, it was time to move along. I was thru a good part of this segment of the ride in a bit of a fog - along with it just getting daylight. It’s so strange to think that was *only* six days ago.
Familiar stop, and it’s the stop before *the* stop of the trip.
![]() |
| Stop 14 - Very familiar with this stop in Willcox, Arizona |
![]() |
| Stop 14 - Very familiar with this stop in Willcox, Arizona |
Travel Ctr #226, 1501 Ft. Grant Rd, Willcox, AZ 9:25 9:35 0:10
As I’m approaching home, I’m in a short duration text conversation with my wife. She’s informed me of an accident along I-10 in Tucson. Avoid or continue? I’ve checked Google Maps, and I continue to do so as I get near the eastern end of the metro area. I’ve decided to take my chances and continue on - a wise choice! The semi had been moved to the side of the road, and traffic was again moving well.
Let’s say that the following stop is a homogenization of three stops I made. One for a bit of gas to mark time, one to pick up my wife and her gear, and the final gas stop is the one that resumes the journey.
![]() |
| Stop 15 - My home exit! Time to pick up my wife & continue! |
![]() |
| Stop 15 ends - Another fuel receipt, and the ride continues to San Diego, California |
I-10, MM 248 10:48 11:29 0:41
So, for the next hour, I get her caught up on my days straddled on this bike, she’s filling me in on the rest of life’s adventures that aren’t based on this bike and ride. It’ was great having her on the bike; this absolutely puts me into touring mode.
![]() |
| Approaching Interstate 8 - the end of this freeway is my goal! |
My wife wants to eat...I could use another meal as well…not that Taco Bell should be considered a meal, more like food.
Hey - I’ve been here before, too!
820 W Pima, Gila Bend, AZ 13:01 13:28 0:27
It’s mid-October, and it’s 94 degrees. I’m still lovin’ life in my riding gear, but I’m starting to ::snif, snif:: stink a bit.
Welcome to California! I’m crossing my last state border on this ride - a total of 13 crossings in eight states.
My wife hasn't done a lot of riding as of late, so she’s not quite got her thermal conditioning where it needs to be, and she’s needing to cool down a bit. She’s concerned about time. I told her there’s still several hours available...we’re doing fine!
![]() |
| Stop 16 - Gas & cool-down stop in El Centro, California |
Chevron, 1850 S. Imperial, El Centro, CA 15:57 16:29 0:32
In El Centro, I start trying to figure out how to end the ride. I did make a request for a witness to meet at the fuel stop. One stranger did volunteer to meet me, but I then called and thanked him for his offer when I was able to contact a friend who lives in the area to be my ending witness.
“I really need two, is your wife available?”
“Yes, tell me where.”
I give him the address. Like many that I had told about this ride, they've been watching my SPOT track. I’m communicating with him via text message. He lets me know when I’ve reached a certain point, he will rendezvous at the agreed upon location.
![]() |
| "Filtering" in Southern California. |
Rush hour - San Diego. Welcome to California! Oh, by the way, lane splitting here *is* legal. Last two miles of ride was bumper to bumper. I want my ending receipt and I want it RIGHT NOW!
![]() |
| Today's goal is just ahead on the left, now to figure out how to get there - San Diego, California |
I have it!
![]() |
| Stop 17 - San Diego, California - I did it! |
76, 2305 Sunset Cliffs Blvd, San Diego, CA 18:08
I claimed 2382 miles, the IBA considered it 2380. I’m okay with that. My 50 hour ride was accomplished in 43h:20m.
Some real food, a beer and I’m wiped.
I put a post to an on-line forum that was watching my exploits. My head is killing me, my throat is scratchy…
Wonderful. What a time for a head cold.
We did a bit of riding in the area the next day, but I wasn't feeling that great. The goal was to get that other bottle of sand...and I have it!
The two of us headed for home the following day. I was away seven days and rode nearly 5000 miles. I felt like crap for nearly two weeks.
Will I do something like this again? Yes - I'm considering either the Southern California Motorcycle Association (SCMA) USA Four Corners Tour or the 48-in-10 IBA Ride
Thanks for those reading to the very end...














Thanks for the story. Glad you made it safely! This is a bucket list ride for me.
ReplyDeleteI really had fun with it - and it truly made me want to do more.
Delete...and I did!
Great story & congrats on your accomplishment - here is something you may want to think about - I make sandwiches - maybe 5 or 6 & 3 bottles of water in my saddle bag on the first day out - every stop I make I eat half of one of the sandwiches & drink some water - they could be ham/cheese - bologna & cheese anything you want but I always make one PB&J which I have for breakfast the next morning as it really sticks with you - at my 1st or 2nd gas stop the next day I'll purchase more water & some already made sandwiches & continue on saving a HUGE amount of time at stops - I also will take a bottle of 5 hour energy which will last me 3 days as I drink 1/3 of the bottle each day somewhere around 11 AM which keeps me on high alert during the afternoon hours but is well out of my system by bedtime thus allowing me to get to sleep quickly (ie) SS 2000 Gold & a BBG 1610 in 23 flat - just a tip as it works for me - again congrats - & isn't it wonderful having a wife that allows this.
ReplyDeleteI'd like to think that many riders have their own unique ways of doing things like that. I do have snacks and things that I've been taking with me on rides since I did this one. I find that a combination of processes and things to snack on can really obviate the need for sustenance on rides like these. My 48 state ride was basically two meals per day; it was quite sufficient for me. Thanks for sharing your ideas!
Delete