April 30, 2018 - Day 5
At the time this post is released to the wild...I've made up my mind which way I'm headed to the next stop on this trek - Charleston,W. Va.
The map is showing 'fastest route' along with a couple of optional routes. We'll be on one of those options. You'll have to follow along to see which one I picked!
My dad's side of the family is all from this region, so it will be the first time in 14 years since I've been back here. My wife has never been here, and actually communicates with two aunts via that (evil) Book of Face, so our communication is second-hand - at best.
We'll hang out here for a couple of days, see a few things, and chat - family stuff, I'm sure.
...and you'll not read a word about it here. If you want to know, you need to be there.
May 1, 2018 - Day 6
Another photo that I'll share - along with a purported fact, as reported by family...
This same motel (under a different owner, obviously...) was the same establishment that my parents stayed at on their honeymoon, which was to meet my dad's side of the family. Waaay back in 1960!
The reminder of the time is visiting family, along with seeing the sights in the region.
A short walk from the motel is a chain of restaurants that I was told "gotta try 'em!"
Done with breakfast, a couple of errands were run, then back to visit with family. We took a drive and went to see things and places - not gonna share them here.
At the time this post is released to the wild...I've made up my mind which way I'm headed to the next stop on this trek - Charleston,W. Va.
The map is showing 'fastest route' along with a couple of optional routes. We'll be on one of those options. You'll have to follow along to see which one I picked!
My dad's side of the family is all from this region, so it will be the first time in 14 years since I've been back here. My wife has never been here, and actually communicates with two aunts via that (evil) Book of Face, so our communication is second-hand - at best.
We'll hang out here for a couple of days, see a few things, and chat - family stuff, I'm sure.
...and you'll not read a word about it here. If you want to know, you need to be there.
![]() |
| Budget Host Motel, Charleston, WV, along the Kanawha River |
May 1, 2018 - Day 6
Another photo that I'll share - along with a purported fact, as reported by family...
![]() |
| Budget Host Motel, Charleston, WV |
This same motel (under a different owner, obviously...) was the same establishment that my parents stayed at on their honeymoon, which was to meet my dad's side of the family. Waaay back in 1960!
The reminder of the time is visiting family, along with seeing the sights in the region.
A short walk from the motel is a chain of restaurants that I was told "gotta try 'em!"
![]() |
| Biscuits & sausage gravy in West Virginia...Tudor's Biscuit World, Charleston, WV |
![]() |
| Bacon & eggs - both were decent! Tudor's Biscuit World, Charleston, WV |
Done with breakfast, a couple of errands were run, then back to visit with family. We took a drive and went to see things and places - not gonna share them here.
A short stop, but a very enjoyable one - glad we worked this into the plan.



