Mid-Atlantic Trip -- Day 15, 16, and 17 (home!)

May 10, 2017 - Day 15

1800-odd miles, three days - and I really need to be home in three days.

Google Maps sends us down Interstate 40.  A good road for making time?  Yeah, but still - it's Interstate.  Blech!
Mississippi River along Interstate 40

With the way I'm feeling, I don't need difficult, I need to get the job done.  My wife is experiencing some of the same symptoms as I am, so we're both sick - and we both want nothing more than to be at home.

Oak Ridge, TN to Van Buren, AR - 650 miles - 12 hours




I think the last time I did a very long stretch of I-40 was back in 2004 when my folks and I went back for my grandmother's funeral in WV.

May 11, 2017 - Day 16

Wind...oh, man, was the wind bad today.  Welcome to springtime in the midwest!  Minimal clouds, thus no rain.

Prairies are burning - McLean, Texas
Fortunately, it's not too hot - but the wind is making it tough to keep moving.  Periodic breaks (the green dots on the map below) break up the constant beating we're both taking.

Van Buren, AR to Roswell, NM - 647 miles - 12 hours



May 12, 2017 - Day 17

The easiest stretch of all - the bike can virtually find it's way home from here...yet the wind is still beating us.  Oh, I'm done.

Home.  Shower.  Early to bed.  Sleep.

Roswell, NM to Home - 482 miles - 8 hours




May 17, 2017 - After Action Report

A few things I've learned in this blogging stuff - keeping at it is very, very difficult to do when you're actively trying to make certain you're feeling well enough to operate a motorcycle.  Sorry this was rather abandoned toward the end, but trying to see, coughing my head off, and having sinus issues - all while trying to ride - was just a little too much for me to handle.

I've added a few more images to the last couple of entries, thanks to my wife for at least getting a few more shots of the trip home.  The blog entries are essentially complete.  The trip meter on the bike states 5234 miles since the trip began.

I'm not certain how I will do this blogging on my next trip.
Complete route ridden

-30-

Comments