Dayride: Lowell, AZ - March, 2023

March 1, 2023 

Light riding year so far - the weather this past February hasn't been "Chamber of Commerce" weather as it can be. This isn't so bad; we can always use the rain.

There's yet another storm that will be potentially bringing snow to the desert - again. So, while Grace ran off to work, I ran off with my therapist. She's big & black, weighs in around 850 lbs...and has handlebars! Get your mind out of the gutter!

👀

😁

Today's ride was with a purpose - a few photos and hopefully material for a blog post. This should be a good one....

A hundred miles from home, and it seems like you've entered another time...

The remains of Lowell, AZ downtown

Um...or maybe we've entered a 'Twilight Zone' where time stands still!


Plenty of places that will tell the story of Lowell better than I will, but the short story is the mine expanded and consumed several blocks of the community back in the 1950's.

Turning around...this is the rim of the Lavender Pit mine in Bisbee, AZ

Enough people convinced the mining company to NOT destroy the rest of the original downtown, and this is what remains. A few of the buildings still have actual businesses, and locals will park vintage cars here for the aesthetics of time being stopped.

I don't think this old ScenicCruiser is operational.

Lowell, Arizona - "Just Past the Pit!"

Two gas stations in one block - some things never change.

Before I made the ride back toward civilization, I made a detour to the border community of Naco, AZ. Now, I can say I was there.

The winds began to pick up as I made the 120 mile ride back home. I needed a bio-break, and sustenance in Sonoita. I sent a photo to someone...



Two people got a kick out of seeing that. Fun trip!

What's next? Oooh...can't tell just yet, sorry!

Comments